Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Make a winter tarp with me

Join me while I make a winter tarp, using the pattern from DIY Gear Supply.  This is a multi-part video series, and I'll cover the following topics in separate videos.


Part 1:  Cat curves and fabric cuts
I will show you how I made the patterns for the catenary curves and cut the fabric for the winter tarp.  In this video I use XTrekker's Catenary Curve Calculator.



Part 2:  Sewing the ridgeline
I sew the ridgeline using the flat felled / french seam hybrid method.




Part 3:  Tie-outs
I'm deviating from the sequence of the pattern a little and I'm attaching my tie-outs so that the webbing is on the inside of the reinforcement fabric.  It works out and I am happy with the product.



Part 4:  Rolled hem using the *rolled hem foot*

I hem the tarp, including the catenary curves, using my 1/8" rolled hem foot.


Part 5:  Side pull  outs
I attach side pull outs to the tarp, and like the tie-outs, I'm deviating from the instructions somewhat.

 Part 6:  Seam Sealing
I use Silnet to seal the seams on the ridgeline and the side pull-outs.

Download the Winter Tarp pattern from DIY Gear Supply:  http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DIYGS-Winter-Tarp-lowres.jpg

XTrekker's Catenary Curve Calculator:  https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/85208-Catenary-Parabola-Curve-Calculator

How to sew outdoor fabrics with the rolled hem foot:
https://youtu.be/nWIp401KHKg?list=PLe_TkDAT6LQV8NAyKbCz1JgyN91nW1mNn

1 comment: