CLICK HERE to download the pattern. Print in landscape mode, and verify that the 1" square is truly 1".
YOU WILL NEED
· 5 PIECES CUT FROM FABRIC
· PATTERN A: CUT 2 CIRCLES
· PATTERN B: CUT 2 SIDE OF ZIPPER
· PATTERN C: CUT 1 SIDE OF BAG
· 9” ZIPPER (WITH ZIPPER PULL)
· 4 to 6” GROSGRAIN RIBBON
· 2 D-RINGS (OPTIONAL)
All SEAM ALLOWANCES ARE 1/2”
· With right sides facing and the edges of the zipper tape and fabric lined up, sew the zipper to both pieces of Pattern B; overcast stitch the raw edge of the fabric to the zipper tape; press open flat and topstitch the fabric to the zipper tape.
· Cut grosgrain into two pieces, fold each piece in half, and baste to ends of zipper so that the loops are facing inward. (Add D-Rings to grosgrain before basting if desired).
· With right sides together, sew zipper assembly to the narrow edges of both sides of Pattern C; overcast stitch raw edges; then tack down.
· Sew the circle to the side of the bag on each side::
Put the loop of the zipper assembly (pattern pieces B and C) on the bottom (against the feed dogs) with the right side facing up. Place the circle with right-side facing down.
Tip: Hold the bottom / straight piece of fabric straight with your right hand.
Tip: Use your left hand to ease the circle so that the edges of both pieces of fabric line up. Hold the circle at least 1/2” in from the edge to prevent bias stretching.
Tip: Stop sewing with your needle in the down position, lift your foot, and ease the fabric when needed to keep circle stitching smooth and to prevent puckering.
Tip: Mark your seam allowance on the circle with a pencil if needed.
· Trim and overcast stitch the raw edge of the circle. Turn bag right-side out.